Acorn Press publishes books in most genres about Prince Edward Island, by Prince Edward Islanders.
If you have a manuscript that fits these guidelines, be sure to send your manuscript by regular post. It must be typed and double-spaced (double-sided printing is acceptable as long as the pages are clearly numbered); please do NOT send your original copy. Please expect up to six months for a reply.
Following are some additional guidelines to follow, by genre:
Please send an outline, and a couple sample chapters demonstrating your writing. In your cover letter please tell us why you’re qualified to write this book. Include a list of past publications and/or prizes, as well as suggested markets for the book. If you are submitting a proposal for non-fiction, include a list of possible illustrations (e.g., maps, photos, artwork).
Please submit your manuscript in its entirety (no more than 100 pages). In your cover letter, be sure to include a list of past publications and/or prizes.
CHILDREN’S CHAPTER BOOKS
Please send an outline, and a couple sample chapters demonstrating your writing. In your cover letter please tell us why you’re qualified to write this book. Include a list of past publications and/or prizes, as well as suggested markets for the book.
CHILDREN’S PICTURE BOOKS
Please submit your manuscript in its entirety. It is not necessary to submit illustrations.In your cover letter, be sure to include a list of past publications and/or prizes.
- send a cover letter with a current mailing address, phone number and email address; a description of the book and its market; a short bio.
- send a detailed table of contents or outline.
- send the first three to four chapters (or approximately 50 pages).
- browse the website to ensure your project is a good fit with our publishing program.
- include a self-addressed, stamped postcard with your submission if you would like us to confirm receipt.
- send simultaneous submissions—simply notify us if your manuscript is under consideration elsewhere, and, of course, if it is accepted for publication while it is under our consideration.
- expect an eventual response. Please be patient—it can take us anywhere from four to twelve months to respond to a submission.
- expect us to treat all materials confidentially.
- propose a project that does not reflect or speak directly to Atlantic Canada’s people, places, history, or culture.
- send original material, artwork, or manuscripts. Proposal materials are not returned, so please do not send postage or self-addressed stamped envelopes.
- include illustrations with a proposal. If you are an illustrator interested in working with us, send a letter of introduction with a website address and/or a portfolio to the address below. Please only send materials you do not need returned.
- phone us about a submission.
- expect feedback. We receive many submissions each month and are only able to offer feedback to those submissions that are possibilities for our publishing program.
- send submissions by email. All submissions must be received by regular mail at the address below.
SEND PROPOSALS BY MAIL TO:
P.O. Box 22024
Charlottetown, PE C1A 9J2
tel: (902) 221-1061
e-mail: [email protected]
Thank you for taking the time to review these guidelines. We rely on the talent, creativity, and hard work of writers, photographers, artists, and illustrators everywhere, and recognize that without you we could not do what we do.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING WITH YOUR SUBMISSION:
- a cover letter with your full contact information and relevant writing experience and publication credits (if applicable)
- a brief (one-page) synopsis of what your book is about
- a sample of the manuscript (approx. 50 pages)
- a self-addressed stamped envelope (only if you would like manuscript returned to you)
Please be patient—it can take us up to six months to review and respond to a submission. No phone calls, please.